California is one of the many states in the US which takes part in the multi-state lottery game known as the “Powerball”. People from around the world and also California are fascinated by the US Powerball lottery and its record breaking jackpots each year. Since it started the US Powerball has amazed the world virtually setting a higher international historic jackpot record each and every year.
US Powerball Jackpots And Prizes
The latest jackpot records set by this amazing lotto game in 2016 and 2017 were higher than ever before, the world went “Powerball Crazy” when the jackpot prize reached up to $1.6 Billion in 2016, the $1.6 Billion prize was won by 3 players who split the prize evenly between them. The world was again amazed this year during 2017 when a single ticket won a massive jackpot of $758 Million – breaking all previous single ticket winner jackpot records!
US Powerball Rules
Players win a prize by matching one of the 9 Ways to Win
- The jackpot – won by matching all five white balls in any order and the red Powerball – is either an annuitized prize paid out over 29 years (30 payments counting the first immediate payment) or a cash lump sum payment.
- If you choose the cash, then you get the cash, pay the tax, and can invest what is left over.
- If you choose the annuity, then we can invest the cash amount pre-tax, less an immediate first payment (more to invest means more earnings). With the annuity, you get an annual payment that is increased by 5% each year to keep up with the cost of living.
- The second prize – won by matching five white balls in any order – is $1,000,000 paid in cash (no annuity option). You win by matching at least three white ball numbers.
- Any time you match the red Powerball, you win a prize.
- The overall odds of winning a prize in the game are approximately 1 in 25.
Play US Powerball Online
Do you have to be a U.S. citizen or resident to play Powerball?
You do not have to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident to play Powerball.
Players from jurisdictions where Powerball tickets are not sold, either in the United States or outside the country, can purchase Powerball tickets from a retailer licensed or authorized by the selling jurisdiction, if they meet the legal age requirement in the jurisdiction of purchase.
Federal and jurisdictional income taxes may apply to any claimed prize money.